Losing weight is incidental. It is just a by-product of a sensible approach to eating right. The idea is to not go on a diet but let the diet grow on you. To make it simple, modify your lifestyle. Eat correctly, exercise regularly, and think positively about yourself. Healthy snacking is one such step to reach your weight loss goal. Healthy snacks for weight loss are easily available in the market nowadays. But they are mostly packed with harmful preservatives, chemicals, salt. etc.
We should not complicate something as simple as eating right. Good health doesn’t come from following the industry or influencer. It lies with us, at our home, in our kitchen. The purpose of healthy snacks is to keep you active and moving. And nobody knows your body better than you. You can easily make healthy snacks for weight loss at your home. This way you will use fresh and healthy ingredients, control the portion, and enjoy the process.
Healthy snacks for weightloss, recipes to try at home
1. Baked Kale Chips
Kale chips are a great substitute to potato chips. Potatoes are high in calories and lead to weight gain. Kale on the other hand is low in calories. But it’s high water content keeps the stomach full. It is also a good source of vitamin A which helps to improve eyesight. Anti-inflammatory vitamins like vitamin C and K are also present in it. The other ingredient used is olive oil which again is good for health. It’s a healthy snack to eat while watching a movie or just relaxing.
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C.
- Spread a parchment paper on the baking tray.
- Carefully separate the leaves from the thick stems.
- Cut them in small pieces.
- Wash them and dry the leaves.
- Mix it with olive oil and seasoned salt. ( massage them )
- Spread on the tray and bake.
- Wait until the edges turn brown. ( 10 to 15 minutes maximum )
2. Banana Wheat Muffin
Banana is the main ingredient here. It is a good source of fiber that can help stay full longer. It also reduces bloating and controls appetite. This dish is a great alternative to processed sugar items. The whole wheat flour increases the protein and fiber in the muffin. Other ingredients like coconut oil, cinnamon, etc are also healthy. This can be consumed after the workout or first thing in the morning. This is because it is high in calories and needs time to get digested.
- 2 cups wheat Flour
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 0p½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp Milk
- ⅔ cup Brown Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 218°C.
- Spray the muffin tray with nonstick spray.
- Mix the wheat flour, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Mash bananas in another bowl.
- Whisk melted butter, brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and milk.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk till the batter gets thick.
- Fill the cupcake tray till the top.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. ( check by inserting a toothpick )
- Let it cool down for 5 minutes and remove it.
- They can be stored for a week at room temperature.
3. Whole Wheat Khakhra
Whole wheat is easy to digest. It is high in nutrients and fiber. Which reduces the chances of obesity. It is a good source of calcium which makes the bone stronger. The chronic inflammation is reduced by wheat consumption. Because of all these qualities, it makes a good healthy snack to munch on. You can eat it with your evening tea or any time of the day. It is low in calories which makes it easy to digest.
- 1 cup Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 3 tsp Ghee
- Mix wheat, salt, oil, and water in a bowl.
- Knead a dough of it and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide it into 5-6 equal parts.
- Roll each portion to form a thin round chappati
- Heat a non-stick pan.
- Apply ghee on each side of chapatti
- Cook it on slow flame.
- Keep pressing it with a muslin cloth to make it crispy.
- Once it gets crispy, let it cool down.
- Store in an airtight box.
4. Vanilla Yogurt
Yogurt is rich in calcium. It is low in calories and easy to digest. It also helps to strengthen the immune system. It removes excess sodium from the body. Sodium is connected to heart diseases. Research has proved that yogurt may burn fat and promote weight loss. It is high in protein which helps you stay full longer. This healthy snack can be eaten at any time of the day as it is light and easy to digest.
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla beans/powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup/honey
- 1 tsp water
- Dissolve the vanilla beans in warm water in a bowl.
- Add maple syrup/honey to the mixture.
- Add half whisked yogurt to the bowl
- Stir until the mixture gets smooth.
- Then slowly add the remaining yogurt.
- Store it in the refrigerator and it will be good for 2 weeks.
- You can add some nuts or chopped fruits when looking for a heavier option.
5. Peanut Butter Energy Bar
Peanut butter is known for its contribution to weight loss. It is full of protein and a variety of minerals. It is high in calories which can keep you full for a long time. It reduces the risk of high blood pressure and heart disease. Combining it with almonds make it more nutritious. They are high in calcium, potassium, and vitamin E. this healthy snack is perfect for a pre-workout snack or can be eaten as a first thing in the morning. The reason is, it is full of protein which requires time to digest.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup vanilla powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3 tsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 2–4 tsp of milk
- Add oats, vanilla powder, and cinnamon to a bowl.
- Add in peanut butter, honey, and vanilla extract.
- Stir to combine.
- Add in the nuts. The mixture should be sticky.
- Slowly add in milk 1 tablespoon at a time and use your hands.
- Combine until it comes together as a dough. .
- If the mixture is dry, add in more milk.
- Spread over a flat surface and cut them into small bars.
6. Parmesan Thyme Popcorn
Popcorn is rich in fiber and low in calories. It has a bad reputation because of additional butter and seasoning. But without them popcorn is one the best healthy snacks for weight loss. It is made of 100% grain which makes it easy to digest. You can eat popcorn at any time of the day as they are very light.
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese ( grated )
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil in a stockpot.
- Add the kernels and wait for them to pop.
- Wait for the pot to fill till top.
- Let the popcorn cool down.
- Mix cheese, thyme, garlic powder and salt in a bowl.
- Transfer the popcorn in a larger bowl and add the cheese mixture.
- Keep in an airtight container.
These were some of the healthy snacks for weight loss. They are easy to make and time-efficient.
But the lesson here is to eat high calories when more active and low calories when less active. This will lead to efficient calorie burning and increased metabolic rate. Even when eating healthy snacks, you need to be smart enough to choose the right time.
But remember that fitness is built step by step. The body wants consistency. And consistently including these healthy snacks to your diet will be a big step forward.