Energy balls are the new food trend in the fitness industry. They are made with ingredients which are high in protein, fiber and other nutrients. They are perfect to boost your energy during the day. We’ve been eating these since our childhood in some or the other form. Some might be eating in the form of pancakes or some as healthy cookies.
The idea remains the same, i.e. to get essential proteins with delicious taste. Doing random things with food and dieting will always backfire. A lot of energy balls recipes tend to remove ingredients like sugar, ghee, nuts etc which are actually important for a healthy body. When you go artificial sweeteners, you increase the risk of getting heart diseases.
If not sugar, then jaggery is the best sweetener option. It relieves from bloating and constipation and gives an instant boost. Then Ghee is a good source of energy. It reduces inflammation and helps in weight loss too. Dietician Rujuta Diwekar suggests having at least 2 teaspoons of ghee every day. And coming to nuts, they are a rich source of protein and keep you full longer. Always make sure that your energy balls have at least one of these ingredients..
Think about these energy balls as a handy food. And a great way of eating something which is good for you.
Easy, Nutritious and budget friendly Energy Balls Recipes
1. Multigrain Energy Balls – 241kcal
- ½ cup bajra flour
- ½ cup ragi flour
- ½ cup jowar flour
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 1 tbsp almonds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 ¼ jaggery
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms powdered finely
- Heat ghee in a pan and sauté all flours on a medium flame until aromatic.
- Melt jaggery with ¼ cup of water.
- Empty the pan, pour the mix back to the pan. Add cardamom powder.
- Begin to boil till it reaches a smooth thick consistency.
- Leave it for 30 seconds, try to make a ball out of this syrup.
- Turn off the heat. Add the flour little by little but quickly.
- Make sure there are no lumps. Add the nuts and mix well.
- Grease your hands and make the balls.
- You have to be really quick as the mix will dry up faster.
- Cool the multigrain energy balls and store in an airtight container.
- They keep good for 2 weeks.
When to eat – it is a perfect snack to eat between breakfast and lunch. This can easily keep you full and fresh for 2-3 hours. It’s best to eat it during the day. Don’t eat it as an add on. It is high in protein which makes it longer to digest.
2. Dry Fruits Energy Balls – 200 kcal
- 1 and ¼ cup wheat flour
- 4 tbsp edible gum
- ¼ cup dry dates powder
- ¼ cup powdered jaggery
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- 3 tbsp dry fruits and nuts powder
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 8-10 tbsp ghee
- Take a pan and add2 tbsp ghee. Roast edible gum till it swells up and looks crispy.
- Cool it down and grind it in a mixer to make a powder.
- Now, add dates powder, jaggery, cardamom powder, nuts, poppy seeds and nutmeg powder. Grind everything together.
- In the same ghee, roast wheat flour for a few minutes.
- Add another 2 tbsp of ghee and roast flour till a nice smell comes.
- Cook on low flame. Now, add the ground mixture and mix everything well.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes. Then roll them into energy balls.
- Store them in an airtight container and serve.
When to eat – it’s a heavy snack to munch on. The best way to eat it is before a workout to give you strength. It will enhance your performance. Or you can eat this as the first thing in the morning to kick start your day.
3. Peanut oats energy ball – 123 kcal
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup vanilla powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3 T natural honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 2–4 Tsp of milk
- Add oats, vanilla powder, cinnamon and chia seeds to a bowl.
- Add in peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Add in the nuts. Mixture should be slightly sticky but still crumbly.
- Slowly add in milk 1 tablespoon at a time and use your hands.
- Combine until it comes together in a ball.
- If the mixture is dry, add in more milk.
- Roll into balls using hands.
- Place in a container to set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Store in the fridge until ready to eat.
When to eat – It can be a good add on to your breakfast or evening snack. You can eat it with your sandwich or wrap to make it a complete meal. It is also a snack you can opt for when looking for something creamy yet crunchy.
4. Cashew Dates Energy Balls – 150 kcal
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp cashew paste
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g cashew kernels, grinded
- 40g desiccated coconut
- 100g stoned dates
- Mix the ghee with nut paste, syrup and ground cinnamon.
- Stir until smooth.
- Mix the ground cashews with half of the coconut.
- Chop the dates in the food processor.
- Mix everything together and chill in the fridge for half an hour.
- Roll the mixture into equal sized balls.
- Coat each ball thinly with the rest of the coconut.
When to eat – it can make a good post workout snack. Both cashew and dates are high in calories which are perfect to replace packaged protein. It tastes best with a cup of coffee.
5. Coconut Chocolate Energy Balls – 110 kcal
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 15 Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Place almonds into a food processor and grind.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and combine.
- Scoop the dough into your hands and roll into a ball.
- Roll the ball in shredded coconut.
- Then store the balls in the freezer.
When to eat – it’s a great snack for kids as well as adults. It’s a healthy sweet treat to have after the main meals as a dessert. It will satisfy your taste buds as well as give energy to work.
These are a few energy balls recipes which you can incorporate into your healthy lifestyle.There are many more fun recipes which you can experiment with. But let’s remember that all food is good for you as long as you are in charge. Everything you eat judiciously, at the right time and right quantity is good for you. The main key to stay fit is to balance your diet. Eat everything but know your limits and you are good to go.